Monday, June 18, 2012

Growing your hair out.


As I mentioned before, I am engaged and we will be getting married in 8 months. About 4 months ago I cut my hair shorter than I have ever had in my entire life! As much as I loved my short hair I always imagined myself as a long hair bride. I am now doing anything and everything in my power to grow my hair out. These are some of the things I am currently doing to help my hair grow as fast and healthy as possible.

There is no point in growing out unhealthy hair. The end result will be raggedy looking ends that are thin and do nothing for your over all look! So step one is making sure you take care of your strands.

-Brush your hair with a wide tooth comb when it is dry.

-Limit your hot styling (i.e. flat iron & blow drying). Since my hair is so short and very straight, the only time I ever need to use any heat on my hair is if I ever want to add curl to my hair. It ends up looking very flat without any heat styling, but I know this stage is temporary. I will need it more as my hair grows, so I am taking advantage of being able to limit my heat styling as much as possible.

-Always use protective products when you style your hair. My personal favorite is Marrakesh oil. This stuff is amazing! This lightweight oil smells great, is all natural, a smoother, and heat protector in one.

-Treat yourself to weekly deep conditioning masks. You can do one in salon or at home. If you choose to do it at home, make sure you choose one right for you. A lot of deep conditioning treatments contain protein, which is great for damaged hair, but you can easily over do it. If you do decide to choose one with protein, make sure to only go through one bottle of it, then switch to a moisturizing one so you don't develop brittle hair. 

-Take a multi vitamin loaded with B vitamins (especially biotin). I heard pre-natals work wonders on making your hair grow, so now I  am trying a pre-natal gummy multi vitamin. It tastes great and it is iron free. I find that too much iron upsets my stomach and the iron free doesn't. 

- Regularly massage your scalp, especially in the shower as you are applying conditioner.

-Get regular trims with a stylist that understands how important it is to you to grow your hair! As a stylist, I have heard horror stories from my clients who have gone to other places in the past asking for a trim and leaving with a full on much shorter do! There is nothing more frustrating! So know your stylist and don't be afraid to show them pictures of your goal so you are on the same page!

and most importantly....

BE PATIENT! Hair needs time to grow so don't be afraid to try new styles as your hair grows in. If you continue to try to style your hair as you once did at a different length, you will get frustrated and be tempted to cut it! So get on Pintrest, look as different ideas, and have fun! 




No comments:

Post a Comment